Dr. Evans' Message
Progress. It’s a simple word; but achieving it takes commitment, resources, and patience. When we developed our Strategic Plan last year, we set out to accomplish very specific, yet lofty goals for this district (see District’s web site for full list). This year, despite several unforeseen challenges, we have remained steadfast in putting this five-year plan into action. For example, we have:
- Opened the district’s first Full-Service Community School at School 5 and we are on-target to open two additional community schools this fall.
- Established a district level PTA/PTO Council of Presidents that meets with the Superintendent monthly.
- Expanded alternative schools in the district by opening Destiny and Yes Academy and by expanding our Silk City Academy. This has tripled the number of Alternative Education student stations in the district.
- Implemented academic interventions for each student performing below proficient in mathematics and/or language arts literacy on NJASK and HSPA.
- Opened the first curriculum-based, student-run credit union in New Jersey (at JFK High School).
- Successfully improved our New Jersey Quality Single Accountability Continuum (QSAC) performance by achieving above 80% in three areas: Operations, Personnel and Governance.
- Restructured our two biggest district high schools, and are currently providing all 8th grade students with a choice of 12 thematic high school programs for the upcoming 2011/2012 school year.
- Addressed facility issues by ensuring funds have been allocated in next year’s budget to make necessary repairs and by working with the State on building renovations and new construction.
This is great progress and accomplishing each of these and other important initiatives has involved extraordinary work from our district staff, our teachers, our principals, our Board of Education, and our community supporters.
We are well on our way toward achieving effective change for our schools, and I remain dedicated to ensuring that every goal on this list is accomplished. It’s our children’s future and they are counting on us.
Thank you for your continued support.
Donnie W. Evans, Ed.D.
State District Superintendent
Paterson Public Schools